Sponsored links

Closest Campings


Unterburgau 37, A-4866 Unterach Am Attersee, Salzkammergut
Unterach Am Attersee, Upper Austria
  more information

Almcamp Schatzlmühle

Viechtwang 1 A, 4644 Scharnstein
Scharnstein, Upper Austria
  more information

Komfortcamping Berau

Schwarzenbach 16, A-5360 St. Wolfgang
St. Wolfgang, Upper Austria
  more information

Campingplatz Schweizerhof

Hauptstrasse 14, A-4813 Altmünster
Altmünster, Upper Austria
  more information

Katharina Windischhofer

Hafenstrasse 1, A-4332 Au/donau
Au/donau, Upper Austria
  more information

Naturcamping Seewirt

Ibm 80, A-5142 Eggelsberg
Eggelsberg, Upper Austria
  more information

Camping An Der Donau

Marktplatz 61, A-4090 Engelhartszell
Engelhartszell, Upper Austria
  more information

Camping Puchner

Golfplatzstraße 21, A-4101 Feldkirchen An Der Donau
Feldkirchen An Der Donau, Upper Austria
  more information

Camping Freistadt

Eglsee 12, A-4240 Freistadt
Freistadt, Upper Austria
  more information

Campingplatz Grein

Donaulände, A-4360 Grein
Grein, Upper Austria
  more information

Camping Klausner Höll

Lahn 201, A-4830 Hallstatt
Hallstatt, Upper Austria
  more information

Bade Und Campingplatz Klaffer/böhmerwald

Badesee, A-4163 Klaffer Am Hochficht
Klaffer Am Hochficht, Upper Austria
  more information

Campingparadies Mattsee

Stein 1, A-5221 Lochen
Lochen, Upper Austria
  more information

Camping Schön Ferien

Schön 60, A-4563 Micheldorf
Micheldorf, Upper Austria
  more information

Austria Camp Mondsee

St. Lorenz 229, A-5310 Mondsee
Mondsee, Upper Austria
  more information

Camp Mond See Land

Punzau 21, A-5310 Mondsee
Mondsee, Upper Austria
  more information

Camping Nußbaumer Gries Plomberg

St. Lorenz 45, A-5310 Mondsee
Mondsee, Upper Austria
  more information

Seecamping Gruber

Dorfstraße 63, A-4865 Nußdorf Am Attersee
Nußdorf Am Attersee, Upper Austria
  more information

Camping Hofmühle

Höflein 20, A-4100 Ottensheim
Ottensheim, Upper Austria
  more information

Bade Und Campingplatz Perwang Am Grabensee

Perwang 4, A-5163 Perwang Am Grabensee
Perwang Am Grabensee, Upper Austria
  more information


Interesting Things to See in Linz

When strolling through the heart of the city, one can literally sense its history. The lanes of the old town, which lies directly at the foot of the castle, communicate the feeling of past ages. Splendid town residences and chapter houses are worthly of closer scrutiny, as are the many inner countryards hidden discretely behind arched gates. Moreover, the spacious, baroque main square with its lively hustle and bustle is never far away.

Linz is also a city of churches. With its 134m tower and space for 20,000 people, the New Cathedral is Austria´s largest church. In addition, the city landmark, the pilgrimage basilica on the Pöstlingberg, is also clearly in view. A symbol of Linz is the Lentos Museum of modern art, which has a striking glass facade that is illuminated at night with alternating colours.


Linz is a synonym for variety that is found at open air events, in bars and restaurants and in the theatre and on concert stages of the city. At Whitsun, the Linz Festival offers a cultural open-air festival in the Danube park, while in July the international "Pflasterspektakel" brings over 500 clowns, acrobats and mimes to the city´s streets. Moreover, September sees the musical "Cloud of Sounds" in the Donaupark, the Ars Electronica Festival and the Bruckner Festival.

The Linz markets provide an opportunity to browse, and sample, whether at the weekly markets or the twice yearly Urfahr Fair, which is Austria´s oldest public festival.

Churches and chapels

  • New cathedral
    Herrenstraße 26, open Mo-Sa 7:30am to 9:00am, Sun 8:00am to 7:00pm.
    The construction of the neo-Gothic cathedral was already initiated in 1855 by F.J. Rudiger, then Bishop of Linz, and the foundation stone was laid in 1862. The building was designed by the Cologne cathedral builder Vinzenz Statz.The cathedral was consecrated in 1924. The height of the tower was limited to 134 m (as it was not permitted to surpass St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna ). The cathedral can accommodate 20.000 worshippers and is also notable for its stained glass windows, including the famous "Linz Window" with scenes from the history of Linz (left front). At Christmas the crypt church contains one of the largest nativity scenes, measuring 12 m in length.
  • Old cathedral
    Domgasse 3, opened daily 7:00am to 7:00pm.
    Designed according to drawings by Pietro Francesco Carlone, the cathedral was built between 1669 and 1678. It was the cathedral church of the diocese of Linz from 1785-1909. The single-nave Baroque church has lateral chapels and galleries, as well as a closed choir and stucco work by J.P. Spaz and G.B. Mazza. The marble high altar is by Colomba and Barberini with a picture by Antonio Bellucci. The Aloisian altar picture is by Bartolomeo Altomonte. The choir pews originate from the former monastery church in Garsten, while the organ by Franz Xaver Krismann derives from Engelzell monastery. From 1856-1868 Anton Bruckner served as the cathedral organist.
  • Pöstlingbergkirche("Wallfahrtsbasilika")
    Am Pöstlingberg 1, opened daily 8:00am to 6:00pm.
    This pilgrimage church, dedicated to the Seven Sorrows of the Virgin Mary and perched high above the roofs of the city, is the landmark of the Upper Austrian capital. It was built in 1748 according to plans by Matthias Krinner. The church is popular for weddings because of the unique location.
  • St. Martin's Church
    Römerstraße/ Ecke Martinsgasse
    This is regarded as the oldest original church still in existence in Austria. It was first documented in 799. A rectangular building that is no longer visible, partially extending into the nave, probably dates from the Agilofingian period (before 788). During the Carolingian period (after 788), the central structure was erected using debris from Roman buildings. This can be seen on both the inside and outside, while the ground plan is marked by stone slabs. The building was redesigned as a bay church in the 11th century and the pillar arches were filled in. There are Romanesque and Gothic door and window arches dating from later alterations. Inside the building, Roman stone inscriptions and a furnace can be seen. The first bay contains a copy of the Volto-Santo picture by Lucca (around 1440). The interior of the church can be viewed through a glass door. Entrance into the church is only permitted with a tourist guide.


  • Trinity Column
    In the middle of the Main Square, one of Austria's most attractive closed squares, there stands the 20 m high Baroque Trinity Column (completed in 1723). Carved in white marble by Sebastian Stumpfegger according to a model from Antono Beduzzi, the column bears three inscriptions. These announce the dedication of the column to the Holy Trinity by the guilds, the Emperor and the people of Linz in gratitude for deliverance from the dangers of war (1704), fire (1712) and plague (1713). The column is flanked by the patron saints Sebastian, Florian and Carlo Borromeo.
  • Linz castle
    The Linz castle is first documented in 799.
    It was entirely rebuilt in 1477 by Emperor Friedrich III, and there are partial remains of the defensive walls, the bastions and the west entrance (Friedrichstor). The latter is adorned by a stone coat-of-arms (1481) bearing the inscription "AEIOU" ("The whole world is subject to Austria") and the imperial initials. Around 1600, during the rule of Rudolph II, the castle was redesigned and expanded according to plans by the Dutch master builder Anton Muys. The powerful four-storey block with two inner courtyards and the main gate to the city (Rudolfstor 1604) date from this time. During the Napoleonic wars the building served as a military hospital, and it was here that the great city fire of 1800 broke out (destruction of the south wing and a part of the transept). Beginning in 1811, the remaining buildings were used as the provincial prison and from 1851 until 1945 as a barracks. Between 1953 and 1963, the fortress was rebuilt and restored as the Upper Austrian
  • Castle Museum.
    It contains permanent exhibitions of art from the Middle Ages to the present day, historical weapons and musical instruments, coins, folklore and technical history, as well as the Kastner collection. There are special exhibitions each year.
  • Bischofshof
    The bishop's residence is the most important secular Baroque building in the city. Commissioned by Kremsmünster monastery (1721-26), it was built by Michael Pruckmayr according to plans by Jakob Prandtauer, who was also responsible for the monasteries in Melk and St. Florian. . The impressive lattice gate on the staircase is by Valentin Hoffmann (1727). It is still the episcopal see.


Modified: 2007-02-11 15:28:40+01
Source: http://wikitravel.org/en/Linz


Image Gallery

The Brucknerhaus

The Brucknerhaus

The Brucknerhaus

Source: http://wikitravel.org/en/Linz


Wordpress Theme for Campsites & Camping
Wordpress Themes



to campingcompass.com, european & american & australian tourist information website. Take a chance and find the most interesting Campings in Europe & America & Australia. Plan your next holiday and find the best accommodation for your trip.

Camping details

Click on the pointer icon on the map and get more information about camping underneath.

Map Zoom

Do you want to see your holiday destination from a bigger distance or do you need more detailed view of selected family camping? Use the Map Navigation buttons in the top left corner on the map.

Satellite view

Do you want to know how the campsite area looks like before you head off? You can always see the satellite picture of the camp site by clicking the Satellite button in the right top corner on the map.

Sponsored links